Â Todd Palin has filed for divorce from Sarah Palin, the former governor of Alaska and 2008 Republican vice presidential candidate, after 31 years of marriage.
In a document filed Friday in Anchorage, Alaska, Superior Court, Todd Palin cites an “incompatibility of temperament” in his marriage to Sarah Palin “such that they find it impossible to continue to live together as husband and wife.” The divorce filing and court records use only initials to refer to the pair, with Todd Mitchell Palin listed as TMP and Sarah Louise Palin only identified as SLP.
Neither Sarah Palin nor Todd Palin or his lawyer has returned CNN’s requests for comment. The divorce filing was first reported by Alaska blogger Craig Medred.
Friday’s filing includes a child custody jurisdiction affidavit for the family’s youngest child, who is 11. The affidavit is a standard form in divorces in Alaska involving minor children that includes information about children who will be involved in custody proceedings.
Palin served as governor of Alaska from 2006 to 2009 and shot into national prominence in the summer of 2008, when the late Sen. John McCain picked her to be his running mate in the presidential race. McCain lost to Barack Obama.
The Palin family has gotten plenty of attention in the years since. Bristol Palin was featured in MTV’s “Teen Mom OG” last year — she was pregnant during her mother’s vice presidential campaign when she was 17 — but announced her exit from the show in April, saying, “It took away my peace.”
In 2018, the Palins’ oldest child, 30-year-old Track Palin, was arrested on domestic violence charges, to which he pleaded not guilty. That case is ongoing. He had earlier pleaded guilty to criminal trespassing in a dwelling after being accused of breaking into his parents’ home and assaulting Todd Palin.
Sarah Palin’s time since serving as governor has been largely marked by a continuous stream of book releases and cable news appearances. She said in 2015 that she was “seriously interested” in running for president but ultimately decided against a White House bid.
A Florida judge ruled Monday that the parents of a 4-year-old boy with leukemia lost their bid Monday to regain custody after their struggle with the state over giving him chemotherapy.
Noah McAdams was removed from his parents’ custody in April when they skipped a chemotherapy session and left the state in pursuit of alternative treatments.
Noah’s parents, Taylor Bland and Joshua McAdams, and their fight for natural cancer treatment garnered national attention after a multi-state police search ensued when they skipped the chemotherapy appointment and took Noah for a consultation in Cincinnati, Ohio, with an alternative medicine practitioner.
Hillsborough County Unified Family Court Judge Thomas Palermo in court Monday ordered Noah remain a dependent of the state, ruling that he will stay in the care of his maternal grandmother, according to Brooke Elvington, an attorney for Bland and McAdams.
Noah’s parents will still be allowed to visit and attend medical appointments under supervision, the attorney said.
Bland and McAdams are “obviously devastated,” Elvington said.
“Noah is going through an absolutely traumatic medical experience and he is doing so without his parents,” Elvington told CNN.
In video from court shot by CNN affiliate WFTS, Judge Palermo referenced previous testimony in which Bland acknowledged she removed an intravenous catheter from her son’s arm without medical permission.
Noah, who was diagnosed with acute lymphoblastic leukemia in April, has been in state custody since police removed him from his parents’ custody in Kentucky.
A dependency court judge then ordered Noah to complete the prescribed chemotherapy treatment against his parents’ wishes.
According to St. Jude’s Children’s Research Hospital, about 98% of children with acute lymphoblastic leukemia “go into remission within weeks of starting treatment.”
Noah’s parents had asked the court to allow them to forgo chemotherapy in favor of alternative treatments, including medicinal cannabis, vitamins and a dietary plan. They had previously informed doctors that they wanted to seek a second opinion and pursue alternatives, Bland told CNN.
Now in conjunction with the court-ordered chemotherapy protocol, Noah has been receiving THC and CBD oil for about a month, according to the family’s attorney. The family was unhappy with the treatment Noah received at Johns Hopkins All Children’s Hospital in Tampa, and they are still pursuing oncology options at other hospitals, Elvington told CNN.
Donald Trump entered a partnership with a Scottish airport in 2014, before launching his White House bid, that routinely sent flight crews to his Turnberry resort, The New York Times reported Monday.
It’s an arrangement that contrasts with the President’s recent claims that he knows “nothing” about Air Force crews staying at his resort amid growing criticism over the matter.
Scottish government documents obtained by the Times show the Trump Organization made an arrangement with officials at Glasgow Prestwick Airport that routinely sends flight crews to Trump’s Turnberry resort. A decision by the Pentagon to increase its use of the airport to refuel Air Force flights in 2015 had local airport officials sending flight crews to hotels in the area for overnight stays, including Turnberry, according to the paper.
Trump “played a direct role in setting up” the deal at the time, the Times said.
The arrangement — and Trump’s recent denial of involvement in it — underlines another set of ethical questions around the President’s continued ownership of his business. Before his inauguration in January 2017, Trump pledged to transfer his business holdings to a trust run by his adult sons but refused to sell his ownership stake, a step that many ethics lawyers say is critical to avoid conflicts of interest.
On Sunday, the Air Force ordered a review of all international layover stays after Politico first reported on visits by crew members to Trump’s Turnberry resort during refueling stops. The President sought to downplay the news Monday in a tweet denying any involvement in the controversy.
I know nothing about an Air Force plane landing at an airport (which I do not own and have nothing to do with) near Turnberry Resort (which I do own) in Scotland, and filling up with fuel, with the crew staying overnight at Turnberry (they have good taste!). NOTHING TO DO WITH ME
â€” Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) September 9, 2019
According to The Times, Air Force stops at Glasgow Prestwick rose from 180 in 2017 to 257 in 2018 and 259 already in 2019.
The Air Force says the airfield’s increased usage derived from a flight directive issued to mobility crews in June 2017, which it said was “designed to increase efficiencies.” Air Force officials are now formally tallying the number of times military crews were sent to Trump Turnberry as a result, the Times said.
The controversy over military personnel accommodations at Trump properties comes after Vice President Mike Pence’s recent decision to stay at Trump’s resort in Doonbeg, Ireland — hours away from his scheduled events in Dublin — led Democrats on the House Oversight and Judiciary committees to demand documents about how the decision was made.
Prime Minister Boris Johnson has succeeded in his plan to suspend Britain’s rebellious Parliament for five weeks, but he has achieved little else in his first prolonged jousting with legislators determined to prevent a no-deal Brexit.
The simmering showdown between Johnson and Parliament over Brexit came to a head as lawmakers delivered three defeats to the government’s plans for leaving the European Union, before being sent home early Tuesday for a contentious five-week suspension of the legislature.
In a session that ran well past midnight, Parliament ordered the government to release private communications about its Brexit plans and rejected Johnson’s call for a snap election to break the political deadlock.
Parliament was then suspended â€” or prorogued â€” at the government’s request until Oct. 14, a drastic move that gives Johnson a respite from rebellious lawmakers as he plots his next move.
Opponents accuse him of trying to avoid democratic scrutiny. What is usually a solemn, formal prorogation ceremony erupted into raucous scenes as opposition lawmakers in the House of Commons chamber shouted “Shame on you” and held up signs reading “Silenced.”
Commons Speaker John Bercow expressed his displeasure at Parliament’s suspension, saying “this is not a standard or normal prorogation.”
“It’s one of the longest for decades and it represents an act of executive fiat,” he said.
The prime minister has had a turbulent week since Parliament returned from its summer break on Sept. 3. He kicked 21 lawmakers out of the Conservative group in Parliament after they sided with the opposition, and saw two ministers quit his government â€” one of them his own brother.
Parliament’s suspension ended a day of blows to the embattled Johnson. First an opposition-backed measure designed to stop Britain from crashing out of the EU on Oct. 31 without a divorce deal became law after receiving the formal assent of Queen Elizabeth II. The law compels the government to ask the EU for a three-month delay if no deal has been agreed by Oct. 19.
Johnson says the country’s delayed exit must happen at the end of October, with or without a divorce agreement to smooth the way. But many lawmakers fear a no-deal Brexit would be economically devastating, and are determined to stop him.
“I will not ask for another delay,” Johnson said. But he has few easy ways out of it. His options â€” all of them extreme â€” include disobeying the law, which could land him in court or even prison, and resigning so that someone else would have to ask for a delay.
Thousands of hurricane survivors are filing off boats and planes in the capital of the Bahamas, facing the need to start new lives after Hurricane Dorian but with little ideas on how or where to begin.
Some sat in hotel lobbies as they debated their next steps. Others were bused to shelters jammed to capacity. Some got rides from friends or family who offered a temporary place to stay on New Providence, an island of some 13,000 residents that has never seen so many people arrive on its shores in recent history.
Carla Ferguson, a 51-year-old resident of Treasure Cay, walked out of a small airport in Nassau with her daughter and other relatives late Monday afternoon and looked around as the sun set.
“We don’t know where we’re going to stay,” she said. “We don’t know.”
Ferguson and her family had one large duffel bag and three plastic storage boxes, most of them stuffed with donated clothes they received before leaving their tiny, devastated island.
“No one deserves to go through this,” said her daughter, 30-year-old Dimple Lightbourne, blinking away tears.
The government has estimated that up to 10,000 people from the Abaco islands alone, including Treasure Cay, will need food, water and temporary housing as officials consider setting up tent or container cities while they clear the country’s ravaged northern region of debris so people can eventually return.
Getting back to Abaco is the dream of Betty Edmond, a 43-year-old cook who picked at some fries Monday night while with her son and husband in a restaurant at a Nassau hotel, where her nephew is paying for their stay.
They arrived in Nassau on Saturday night after a six-hour boat trip from Abaco and plan to fly to South Florida on Wednesday, thanks to plane tickets bought by friends who will provide them a temporary home until they can find jobs. But the goal is to return, Edmond said.
“Home will always be home,” she said. “Every day you wish you could go back.”
“You try to keep your hopes up, but …,” she added, her voice trailing off as she shook her head.
The upheaval, however, was exciting to her 8-year-old son, Kayden Monestime, who said he was looking forward to going to a mall, McDonald’s and Foot Locker.
Instead of starting school Monday, as had been scheduled before the Category 5 storm hit, Monestime spent the day accompanying his parents to the bank and a shelter as they prepared for the move to the U.S.
Also flying to Florida was 41-year-old Shaneka Russell, who owned Smacky’s Takeaway, a takeout restaurant known for its cracked conch that opened in 2005 and was named after the noises her son made as a baby. Russell’s mother once ran the place, which was destroyed by Dorian.
On Monday, she sat in a white plastic chair under a white plastic tarp as she waited for her 13-year-old son to arrive from Abaco.
Russell said good Samaritans had taken her and a group of people into their home over the weekend and found them a hotel room in Nassau for a couple of days.
“To know that we were going to a hotel, with electricity and air conditioning and a proper shower, I cried,” she said. “I’ve never been through anything like this in my life.”
Dorian slammed into Great Abaco and Grand Bahama islands a week ago as one of the strongest Atlantic hurricanes ever, killing at least 44 people, with emergency workers saying they expect to find more victims.
If you mistake this video announcing a congressional bid for a movie trailer or a sports car ad, don’t be alarmed.
It’s really ex-CIA officer Valerie Plame’s eye-catching debut as a congressional canddiate in New Mexico.Â
The video shows Plane driving a Chevy Camaro backward down a dirt road, demonstrating a need to turn the country around. She also does a reverse 180 as a voice-over talks about how her identity as a CIA officer was leaked in 2003, including by Scooter Libby, the former chief of staff to Vice President Dick Cheney.
Libby was convicted of lying to investigators. President George W. Bush commuted his sentence; President Donald Trump pardoned him.
Plame talks about the scandal in the video, attacking Cheney, Libby and the president.
At the end, she stops the car and steps onto the dusty road before she takes off her sunglasses and says:
“You’ve probablyÂ heard my name … Mr. President, I’ve got a few scores to settle.”
She will be trying to replace Democratic Rep. Ben Ray Lujan in the 3rd Congressional District. He is running for Senate.